Cranberry Muffins w/ Hazelnut Crumble & Orange Butter
I woke up Saturday morning with a sudden epiphany. I still had a package of leftover dried cranberries that was the forgotten love child from my curry chicken salad recipe. It was time to put an end to its misery from the back corner of our pantry.
Hitting the snooze button on our alarm clock 5 times usually means we probably won’t have time for breakfast. And as the winter days go by, it seems to be the case during the work week. So it wasn’t rocket science to decide on the fate of the dried cranberries. A batch of homemade muffins that can easily be consumed while he sprints to the subway entrance.
The recipe was originally posted on the Food Network website but in true foodie fashion, I have altered it and contributed my own modifications. I love the tartness of the cranberries which are balanced by the sweet hazelnut crumble topping on the dome of the muffin. And the orange butter highlights the citrus notes from the stewed cranberries so perfectly. Enjoy it with a nice cup of freshly brewed coffee and you’ve started off your day with a delicious treat!
|1||cup dried cranberries|
|1/2||cup orange juice|
|2||tsp baking powder|
|1/2||cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature|
|2||eggs, at room temperature|
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease 2 muffin pans. In a small saucepan, simmer orange juice and cranberries for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, sift flour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl. Set aside flour mixture. After the cranberries have simmered for 10 minutes, remove from heat, set aside and allow cranberries to plump.
- In another large mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each egg. Fold the flour mixture into the creamed butter. Do this in three parts and alternate with 1/4 cup of milk between each flour addition. It should be flour, then milk, flour again, milk and another flour. Fold batter gently after each addition. TIP: Do not over mix as this will prevent your muffins from rising in the oven. Any lumps will disappear once you bake them.
- Fold the cranberries into the mixture. Scoop batter into each mold, filling them 3/4 full. Sprinkle with hazelnut crumble topping (see recipe below) and bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, remove from molds and serve warm with a side of orange butter (see recipe below). Makes 8-10 medium muffins.
|1/4||cup packed brown sugar|
|1/4||cup chopped hazelnuts|
|2||Tbsp cold butter, cut in small pieces|
- In a small food processor, combine flour and sugar. Next, add the cold pieces of butter and mix until you have the crumble texture. Add chopped nuts and keep mixture chilled until ready to use.
|1/4||cup butter, softened to room temperature|
|2||Tbsp orange marmalade|
- Whip butter, marmalade and honey together. Place in a serving dish and chill for 30 minutes.