Fried Banana Split w/ Raspberry Coulis & Chocolate Ganache
In case you haven’t noticed, I’m a huge fan of taking a classic and adding my own twist. One day we ended up with a surplus of bananas, so why not add some sass to this ice cream parlor favorite?
It all started when I saw these cute little bananas at the fruit stand on 14th Street. I bought them with the intention of using them as a side dish to accompany fish, something I had picked up from his mother when we were in France. But I always buy too much so we had a few extras. I love the ingenuity that comes along with the challenge of not allowing any food to go to waste.
|6||small bananas, peeled|
|6||Tbsp sifted flour|
|vegetable oil for frying|
- Mix together flour, sugar, milk and egg. Blend until it becomes a smooth paste. Refrigerate batter for an hour.
- When you’re ready to serve dessert, dip bananas in the batter and coat thoroughly. Deep fry just until it is golden brown. Remove from oil and place on a paper towel.
|4||ounces Lindt 85% dark chocolate|
|1/4||cup heavy cream|
- Using the bain marie method, melt the chocolate. Gradually whisk in the heavy cream and blend until smooth. Remove from heat and keep warm.
|2||cups fresh raspberries|
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring raspberries and sugar to boil, stirring occasionally. After it comes to a boil, lower heat and simmer until mixture starts to thicken. Remove from heat.
- Using a fine mesh strainer and a rubber spatula, strain the mixture into a small container. Discard the remaining seeds. Serve warm, chilled or at room temperature.